[nabs-l] True Integrity in Providing Equal Wage Protections

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Wed Mar 12 14:27:07 UTC 2014

I offer the following as an example of true integrity in providing equal wage protections from Goodwill of Goodwill Industries of Northern New England.

Our Policy and Practice Concerning Wages
http://www.goodwillnne.org/public-policy/commitment-standard-minimum-wage/

While we are a proud member of Goodwill Industries International, we make completely localized decisions including the way Goodwill of Northern New England compensates all employees. Since 1996, it has been our policy and practice to always meet or exceed the minimum wage for our over 1700 employees of all abilities in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
A Resolution to Affirm Goodwill Industries of Northern New England's Commitment to the Standard of Minimum Wage; and to Actively Support Public Policy Initiatives that Align with this Commitment
At Goodwill Industries of Northern New England (GoodwillNNE), our integrity revolves around how closely we adhere to our fundamental belief in the value of every human being and the 'place' where we live - the environment and the economy that brings structure to our communities.
As affirmed by GoodwillNNE's Board of Directors in 2013, it is our policy and practice to always meet or exceed minimum wage for all our employees in Maine, New Hampshire and northern Vermont. As we connect people who face diverse challenges to jobs in the marketplace, we ensure that they, too, are paid competitive wages, never less than the established minimum wage.
This practice is core to our principles - and, is essential to the well being of our employees and the communities where we all live.
We know that this is a local issue. Community based organizations, including other Goodwills, practice based on their experiences and leadership. In 1996, GoodwillNNE ceased sub minimum wage compensation within its employment opportunities.
This resolution formally affirms that GoodwillNNE supports public policy initiatives that align with our commitment to always meet or exceed minimum wage for all workers in our region.

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
Deputy Executive Director

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland   21230

(410) 659-9314 ext. 2374 (Voice)
(410) 659-5129 (FAX)
Email: alewis at nfb.org<mailto:alewis at nfb.org>
Web: www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org/>
Twitter: @AnilLife

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund campaign, please visit www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture<http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture>.