[nabs-l] college ebooks question

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 20:53:11 UTC 2014

John,
Its required by most schools including ones I attended. I also attend a
community college now for continuing education. May sound weird, but I
figured its cheaper, and I wanted to get some guidance on business writing
and business classes in general while seeking work; my BA is in liberal
studies.

You have to buy the books because you cannot get a book for free; publishers
do not want to release a book without making money.
You have to give receits to your disability  services office as proof you
bought the book. May seem unfair as you cannot read the texts, but its fair
to the publishers.
Your school will then request an electronic text copy of your books once you
have given them receits.
Remember you can buy used texts to save money. Also, you can resell texts to
the bookstore when semester ends. If they won't accept them, try selling
them to other students. Ads are up all the time for used books on bulletin
boards at my school.

I'll also reiterate  what was said. You may not have to wait on your
disability office to get texts. How did you read in high school? If you were
like me, you used Recording for the blind, now, named learning ally.
I would have used bookshare, if it were around.
Bookshare, Learning ally, and  NLS are good sources of books.

Do you learn better with a synthetic voice or human reader? For me, I do
better with  human readers.
This is why I use learning ally a lot for texts.
I suggest you have a bookshare and learning ally account.
Bookshare is free for students. Go to www.bookshare.org to find out more.
Learning ally requires an annual fee now, but you can request a waver if it
poses a lot of financial hardship.

However, your parents probably will pay the fee.
Through these sources, you can order your own texts, rather than waiting for
the disability office.
Also, for general novels you read in history and english, the NLS library is
a good source. You can order books from your cooperating library and get
them in the mail on digital cartrige. Alternatively, you can use the BARD
site and download them yourself using a flash drive if your technology
skills are good.

I often just get my own texts. I find out the book info from the bookstore;
I ask about the name, author, edition and publisher.
Then I can order them with this info.
Another way is to email the professor of the class and ask them about books.
Some ebooks are now accessible, but never used those, so cannot comment on
that.
I know the bookstores I encountered let you purchase or rent ebooks. I think
its from Course smart.

I hope you do well in school, and next time, be  a bit more proactive for
your accomodations.

Ashley