[nabs-l] Windows 8.1 with JAWS

Brice Smith brice.smith319 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 10:26:22 UTC 2014

Hi, Justin.

JAWS 15 and Windows 8.1 work fine together. You can tackle the
learning curve by spending 10-15 minutes with Freedom Scientific's
help files. If you are in a pinch, your old favorites, such as
WindowsKey+M/D, will still take you to your standard desktop. The
Windows key will bring up a new tiled grid start menu interface, and
you can arrow among a selection of programs or type in an application
in the search box. WindowsKey+X will bring up a standard context menu,
where you can get to shortcuts such as your file manager, control
panel, and programs and features.

I think there's some fear and exaggeration when people say to stay
away from a new operating system or program. Yes, Windows 8.1 is new,
but you can handle it. You will want JAWS 14 or later for Windows 8.
Otherwise, Beth's suggestion of NVDA might serve you well.

Brice