[nabs-l] Personal characteristics and traits of successful blind people

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:24:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The oft-quoted NFB mantra is that "with proper training and
opportunity, blindness can be reduced to a mere nuisance". The "with
proper training and opportunity" caveat is huge and, I think,
under-appreciated. Some folks think the NFB is saying that blindness
is a mere nuisance for everyone, but that's not true; it's only a
nuisance for those with training and opportunity or in situations
where opportunity is present. The real problem is that too many of us
still lack either proper training, sufficient opportunity, or both. If
all of us had training and opportunity, blindness simply would no
longer be a problem for our success. I know in my life, in areas where
I have had proper training and opportunity, blindness is a non-issue.
In other areas where I haven't been given good skills or where others
deny me opportunity, blindness becomes an obstacle. So instead of
blaming blindness for our problems or praising ourselves and others
for "overcoming" blindness, we really should be seeking training and
opportunity and calling attention to situations where it is denied us.
Keep in mind, too, that sighted people also require training and
opportunity to be successful. The sighted person who lacks education
or financial resources is still at a disadvantage in our society. So
it's not about blindness as much as it is about the fact that blind
people are still placed in a marginalized position where training and
opportunity are lacking.

Arielle