[nabs-l] Personal characteristics and traits of successful blind people

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:29:04 UTC 2014

Arielle,

Yes, the "mantra" as you call it says that with proper training and
opportunity blindness can be reduced to a mere nuisance, but the "proper
training" naturally refers to the NFB's prescription of what proper training
looks like, training which for a variety of reasons the majority of blind
people will not receive.

I am confident in my abilities despite my never having attended a training
center. Nevertheless, my confidence is irrelevant when I encounter computer
applications at work that are not accessible. I cannot make these programs
work no matter how advanced my technology proficiency might be or no matter
how much I preach the Section 508 gospel. I don't sit in a corner and bemoan
my blindness, but nor do I view it as a mere nuisance.

When I bought a house, I did so with an eye to a bus stop within walking
distance. That may not sound like a unique argument considering our sighted
friends could also desire a bus stop within walking distance, but the
significant difference is that they have the marvelous choice of riding a
bike or driving a car. They have the freedom to live in rural or urban
environments and still get to work. True, we can hire drivers. So could our
sighted friends. The difference is that for us it's a necessity. For them
it's not, and so again this does not feel like a mere nuisance.

Even the most well-trained blind person is not above everyday challenges:
the guide dog user who may need to argue to be let into a restaurant, the
student who may need to insist that their exam be offered in an accessible
format, the job applicant who may have to persuade the employer to look past
his blindness, etc. I would never argue that these things can't be
conquered. Remember my whole tangent on not blaming the economy for
unemployment? Yet, I am not immune to the reality that blindness poses a
number of inconveniences my sighted peers do not have to face on their road
to success.

The NFB philosophy does an excellent job of motivating us to adjust to the
world rather than expecting the world to adjust to us. It makes for a
vigorous resolution amongst our own company, but then we hit the real world
and discover reality has not quite caught up to our battle cry.

It is true that our sighted friends have their own need for training. You
mention sighted people need education and financial resources, but then, so
do blind people. We can add education and money to everything else we have
to do to overcome the everyday challenges of being blind. The fact that we
should take your excellent suggestion and eradicate those scenarios where
training and opportunities are denied us only proves the point that
blindness presents its own set of obstacles we must eliminate before we can
succeed elsewhere, for surely it should never be enough to say we are
successful because we are independent. Independence, in my opinion, is only
a means to an end.

I liked how Dr. Jernigan put it: "We the blind must neither cop out by
selling ourselves short with self-pity and myths of tragic deprivation, nor
lie to ourselves by denying the existence of a problem."

I totally agree with you that we should not blame blindness nor congratulate
ourselves for overcoming it. However, I think we as a collective group will
need to exercise the NFB philosophy in the context of real-world issues
successful blind people face day in and day out. I'm glad, for example, that
blind people working the federal contract circuit will theoretically make
more money with the hikes in minimum wage. If minimum wage is what someone
considers success, more power to them, but to the person who wants more, we
should acknowledge the obstacles for what they are and face them head on.

Joe

--
Twitter: @ScribblingJoe

Visit my blog: