[nabs-l] Athletics in College

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:17:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

I took karate while in high school, and really loved it.  I was in a
really regimented program, which had us come to 3 hour long classes a
week.

My instructors were very good about working with me, and often used me
as an example for the rest of the class.  It helped that, aside from a
dad who was taking the class along with his son, I was the only one
who wasn't 6 or so, so it helped the other students see how the moves
should go since I was more the instructor's size.  If I was doing
something wrong they would pull me aside to correct what I was doing
wrong, then send me back into the rotation so I could practice the
moves the corrected way.

The one hiccup in the thing was sparring, and unfortunately it was
what forced me to stop karate just before earning my blue belt.  My
instructors did place special emphasis on blocking for me, and I was
pretty good and quick at it, but my eye condition is so tempramental
that getting hit in the head or face is risky, and it wasn't a risk
that neither my parents and I were willing to take.  I still brush up
on what I know from belts white through orange every once in a while
to stay sharp, and I've even managed to remember a lot of the Japanese
terminology.

I have heard of totally blind people earning their black belts, even
in different degrees, and my instructor said he competed against a
totally blind guy who was very good.  So, it is possible to go as far
as you want to with karate, and it really is a lot of fun.  Had I not
had issues with getting hit and my retinas becoming unstable, I would
have loved to continue myself.  I would highly recommend it though; it
is really fun, and is a great way to get exercise.

On 3/28/14, Beth Taurasi <denverqueen1107 at comcast.net> wrote:
> My current boyfriend is a tai kwon do champion and has done it for
> years, especially during the teen years.  I'm sure he could give you
> some pointers.  I tried judo, but the place where we do it in Denver was
> too far away from where I lived at the time.  Anyway, if you have any
> questions, you can talk to me.
> Beth
> On 3/28/2014 7:44 AM, lizzy wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I'm thinking about taking some form of a martial art (more
>> specifically Judo, Karate or Tae Kwon Do) in the fall semester. They
>> are all club sports, so no one has to have prior experience to join.
>> I'm wondering if I should speak to the instructor before coming to a
>> class? Should I try to learn some of the movements one-on-one before
>> class and then practice them while there? Or should I just show up and
>> go with the flow? Are martial arts typically very visual? If anyone
>> has experience with or knows someone who has done these martial arts
>> before could you give me some pointers.  I honestly have never seen
>> any of the moves so I don't really know what to expect.  I've done
>> other sports before but nothing like this so as always, any advice or
>> information you can give me would be fantastic!
>> Thanks,
>> Lizzy

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/denverqueen1107%40comcast.net

Kaiti