[nabs-l] Athletics in College

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:57:08 UTC 2014

Hi again,

Per the issue of letting your instructor know you're blind and such, I
don't think it is such a big deal as we may think.  When I started
karate my dad mentioned it to my instructor, and I think it made him
feel a little off guard.  He did have me come in to an individual
appointment, but once he saw that I could do what he was asking me to
do he was like, "Good, you can start in the white belt class
tomorrow."  It helped that he competed against a blind guy perhaps,
but overall it wasn't bad.

Another thing I really liked, outside of martial arts that my dojo
did, was circuit training.  It was difficult for me to go early on
since I was balancing marching band and karate, but once my marching
season was over I started doing circuit training on the days I didn't
take karate classes.  It was hard work, but it was also a lot of fun.
My instructor's wife was the one who taught it, and like her husband
she was very open to working with me.  IF we were trying something I
had never done before she would show me how to do it, and then only
pop over if I was doing something incorrectly or looked confused.  I
know this is a little off topic from martial arts, but it is also
something I would recommend too.

Kaiti