[nabs-l] AP statistics

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 14:48:33 UTC 2014

Hi Lillie,

I don't know your exact situation, but it sounds like this guy is
causing significant problems for you, and not really doing much to
actually help you succeed.  My question is, is he actually performing
an essential function which is actually useful or helpful to you?  IF
the answer is no, I would kindly inform the person who handles the
contracting with the county educational services center that you no
longer need the services of a TVI, and you could be rid of him.

This happened to me in my senior year.  Until that point I kept my
TVIs around, and we basically worked on whatever I had in math since
that was a struggle subject for me.  However, in my senior year I lost
the TVI I had, and wasn't taking math any more anyway.  The teacher
they gave me was not helpful to me at all, and I thought that having
the weekly lessons in which we would do absolutely nothing beneficial
for me was pointless, and a waste of everyone's time.  She was also
very unreliable; I remember the last time she came, I waited and
waited for 20 minutes out of my study hall.  My braillist said that I
could go ahead and actually go to study hall and get some work done,
and she would come to get me if or when the teacher came.  Sure
enough, I walk back to the braille room when first period was over to
see that she had just walked in the door.  Apparently she thought I
was going to stay and complete the lesson, because she was pretty
shocked when I said, "Sorry, I was just coming to pick up some
textbook volumes.  I have to go to music theory now," and walked on to
class.  Then my braillist kindly informed her that I had said a week
or so before that I didn't feel the braille lessons were necessary
(since I had planned to do this in our lesson, but didn't have the
chance since she was late).  The funny part was that she called my mom
to complain, and my mom was totally supportive of me not continuing
with TVI instruction for my senior year, and felt that my reason for
stopping it made total sense.  It was almost like she was trying to
rat me out to my own mother, which was ridiculous since I had
obviously told my mom the lessons were pointless beforehand, and you
would think that if a TVI had a capable person on their hands that
they might want to drop them from their heavy caseload.  I still
received everything else I needed from the county, but braille was not
an issue.  My braillist provided all the materials I needed, and was
very seasoned at it after working with me for so long, so having a TVI
around was not crucial for either of us.

I think that if you are in the situation where the TVI isn't doing
anything for you, and he's only bringing you down, it would be
reasonable to get rid of him altogether.  If I remember correctly, I
don't think I had to call an IEP meeting to have the service taken
out, since I was the one who made the final call to tell the school I
no longer needed the instruction, but if you do need to call an
ammendment meeting, it should be fairly short and straight forward
with the reasons you have presented to the list.  Also, if you do need
to present reasons for it and really do nothing in your lessons, feel
free to say, "We don't really do much, and I'm not really being
instructed on anything."

HTH

Kaiti