[nabs-l] making a decision about college

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 19:35:30 UTC 2014

Hi Sami,

I completely agree with the afore mentioned comments. If you believe
at all that you could benefit from training, then go to a center for
that gap year. I am saying this from the perspective of someone who
was overconfident before college and who did not get the full college
experience because once I actually went to college, I was intimidated
by the real world and actually lacked confidence and relied on my
friends too much. So go to a center in that gap year!

I have a friend who volunteered for a year. That is a wonderful thing
to do if you have the time and a place to stay. Volunteering can
really enrich your experience. I think that too many college kids know
little about the real world when they graduate. So whether you take
time off school to volunteer or go straight to college, just try to
have well rounded experiences during your summers and get a part-time
job during school or get very involved in a volunteer organization in
the community.

However, to me, training should come first if you think that is
necessary. It is best to do it as soon as possible so you maximize
your years on earth with great blindness skills and the confidence to
try new things and get great experiences. Plus, you will likely not
have another time in your life that is as convenient to get traning.
Once you start having to pay bills, you have to work, and often when
you start working, you have to quit your job to go to training as you
can't get that much time off. You can also volunteer in your free time
while you're at a center.

Cindy