[nabs-l] representing blindness on an aplication

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Sat May 10 02:12:53 UTC 2014

Hello All,

A local hospital in my area is starting a youth suicide prevention council
for local high school students next year, and I am applying now because it
both sounds interesting and I think it could be good for me.

There are several written response questions on the application, such as
what is your biggest challenge in life. My answer would be blindness.
However, I do not know how to exactly deal with the phraising of my answers.

I want to treat it like a casual thing; sort of like, although blindness
does present its own special challenges, I have adjusted reasonably well and
live a pretty normal life.

I am afraid that I will become a hero and be admitted solely on that fact,
or not admitted because I talked about blindness and the powers that be do
not want to deal with that. I am not asking you to write my answer for me,
but how can I better phraise my approach, or what are some key words?

Thanks in advance for any help. This sounds like an awesome opportunity.