[nabs-l] Several Questions...

Ashley Bramlett via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 04:36:01 UTC 2014

Kerri,
Sorry to hear you feel down and directionless.
I echo what Anjelina said. You might  try college later.  I have no clue why
you failed it because its clear you can write and articulate your thoughts
which is a good study skill. but, maybe you can do it later. Maybe you're
just not emotionally ready for it.
As Anjelina said, college isn't for everyone and college degrees don't
equal a job in your field of interest. Know what? There is a blind young guy
on the journalists list; he graduated with a journalism degree from Arizona
State university.
Well, he does not have a job yet.
He posted this year to the list when he had been out of school nearly a
year. So, while I'm sure his grades were excellent, with no work experience
or a network, he had no job. he is looking and I gave him internship  info
for this area.

So there are many people with liberal arts degrees like journalism that are
seeking work, especially in this economy.
I assume you're at home and thinking what to do.
Main goal is stay busy! As a college grad with a liberal arts degree, I
also am career searching and sometimes feel directionless.
I might go for training but when I get back, I'm in the same rutt. No one
hires without experience; I had some internships, but the federal government
did not give me enough substantive work experience where I did my
internships. I did one summer at national crime prevention council, ncpc,
where I did get experience working on an anti bullying campaign. But that
was the main real job even though it was unpaid.
I say job as I had real responsibilities and really contributed to a
project.

I suggest four main things. I'll list them so its more organized and not
rambling so much.
1. I suggest you career explore. You seem  unsure of if sports writing is
for you. Interviewing is a challenge to begin, it’s a skill itself.
But there's more to it than a good interview.
So job shadow some people; you can conduct informational interviews which
are structured interviews where you simply ask a person about their job.
Read online about sports writers as well to see their duties.

2. Volunteer in your community. I assume you have little or no work
experience. Volunteering will not only keep you busy, but it  will get you
out there contributing to a cause and using job skills. Volunteer anywhere
there is a need  you feel you can fulfill.
Ideally find something in writing. Nonprofits often have newsletters that
you might be able to contribute to.
You might also do something like serve food at a homeless shelter or soup
kitchen. Read to kids at an after school program or even lead an activity
for kids at a community center if there is one around. You could even lead
activities or discussions about sports with kids and teens as they love
that.
This should boost self esteem too.

3. If you continue to feel depressed, seek medical help through a mental
health counselor. I think this is a good idea to talk through your self
esteem issues. I don't know your history so do not know where it comes from.
I have struggles with self esteem too.
But, if you read an earlier post of mine,  you know my mother is not the
most encouraging one about independence.
She is critical about minor mistakes I make and I struggle with basics of
appearance. I struggle with keeping my hair combed nicely so it looks okay.
So, of course, I have low self esteem when I feel such a basic mundane thing
is so hard. it seems like no matter how careful I am and comb
systematically, I miss a spot and mom or dad says the hair is  stuck up or
uncombed in some spot.
I also have low self esteem due to seeing all the barriers and I just wonder
if I can ever surmount them. Barriers to jobs include inaccessible software,
employer attitudes, lack of experience, fact that jobs are more fast paced
and multi tasked based, transportation and social barriers.

4. As for jobs, I'd say something with phone work like customer service is a
good place to begin.

Now your other questions.
I'll answer them one by one.

So, what minimum wage starting jobs can a blind person do without a degree?
Answer: most blind people without degrees work in customer service areas;
the call centers.
You can get a job at nib without a college degree.

What was your first job?
Answer:
I did not have  jobs throughout public school years and I doubt you did
either.
My first job was after my sophmore year of college for a dept of defence
agency as an intern; I did not do a lot of work though; it was so boring. I
did research and  some admin tasks. but not enough to fill the day.

What was the first thing you did that gave you real work experience?
Answer:
Considering my jobs amounted to just sitting around and  getting checks from
the government, I say my first real job was my unpaid internship for NCPC .
Here I was kept fairly busy and felt accountable as my supervisor checked in
maybe once a week.
This is what I call real work experience. I did a lot of research to
identify partner organizations for the anti bullying initiative. I also
researched books for their online book club they planned to launch.
I also wrote a few blogs. I did more but that's some highlights.

Kerri, with some searching you'll find a good fit.
I suggest a way to find out if you can sports write is to try it.
you cannot simply paraphrase other commentary,  you have  to
make your own spin. So try it and have others critique it if possible. Do
you have friends that can do this?
Write a sports blog. Once you feel more confident, perhaps submiting
articles to local news outlets or online local sites like patch.com  will
help get your name out there.

I know its hard but try to think positive.
It seems like you need structure. try to stay busy and create structure in
your days. try not to do what I did which was sleep too much and this in
turn made me feel more lazy and sleepy and also unhappy.

You also said you thrive on consequences. I also bet you thrive on rewards.
so why not set some goals and when you accomplish the goals, give yourself a
reward?
This has helped me some. Looking for experience, volunteer or job based, is
a full time thing til you find it.
So set some goals to do things with a time frame and then at the end of a
week or two look back and see if you did them.
I find making lists helps. For instance, I might make a list of past
coworkers to reach out to to  network. This also helps me stay on track.
You need to break things down into manageable small steps with a time frame
to accomplish them.

Here are some examples I used to find my last unpaid internship which ended
up in customs and borders.

1. I attended a disability mentoring day over at customs and border patrol.
This goal followed.
Follow up with mentors from event. Remind them of my skill areas and job
interests.

2. Follow up with coworker from army publishing to find out about jobs or
internships within her department.
3. Check usajobs for openings.
4. Search for job fairs.
5. Distribute current resume to 3 contacts from past jobs.

If you job search, you could make a list of things to do.
This could include
Set up 3 job search accounts on websites; they email you jobs in your area
if you set it up that way; like indeed.com or monster.com.
Attend local job fairs.
Network in the community with friends and their friends.
Search for so many jobs per day; such as search for 3 jobs a day on local
paper websites.

Notice these goals are written with a verb and a specific amount. Do this
and decide whether you wish to check on your progress weekly or bi weekly.
Don't just say apply to several jobs; write apply to 3 jobs in xxx area of
interest.

When I looked for internships, I kept track of what nonprofits and company
websites I reviewed so I wouldn't forget or go back to reread job openings.
I also kep track of where I sent my resumes and cover letters and the day I
sent them.

I suggest you do something similar when seeking a job.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Its not easy finding a career path or even an entry level job.
Ashley