[nabs-l] voice lessons

Kaiti Shelton via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 01:36:27 UTC 2014

Kelsey,

I have to agree with Ryan and Carly.  I think that there might be some
application to the group class, but that it would be limited.  As
someone who takes voice lessons as well, I personally don't think I
would grow as I want to in a group setting.  I think there are tons of
benefits to having individual instruction, and that taking a group
class might not be best for me since the instructor will not
realistically be able to give me the attention that I want to get from
them for my learning.  I do think that if you're going to stop lessons
for the summer going to the group class might be better than not
practicing singing at all unless you regularly sing at church or
something every weekend, but I don't know what it might do other than
just maintain the status quo.

I know at my university the music department offers voice class, but
it is for very beginner students who just learn about pitch, how to
make proper vowel sounds, how to sing scales and match pitch, etc.  It
is a group class, but all the students in it have little to no
experience singing at all.  Students in this class who wish to
continue to work on singing after they have learned these basic skills
are encouraged to study with an instructor privately, in order to get
the kind of help they need to make significant progress.  This is the
only kind of group singing class I've heard of, and I think the only
reason it is really effective is that in some ways it works like an
elementary or middle school choir, where the teacher spends time
teaching students about enunciation, projection, and how to form vowel
sounds for students who missed out on that kind of instruction when
they were young.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask your friend from choir if you
could hitch a ride, as long as you chip in some money for gas.  I also
think it is okay to ask questions of the teacher after class if you
need to, but that it wouldn't necessarily be right to spend a lot of
extra time each week with the teacher while your ride person waits
around for you.  Especially if you're just doing the class to maintain
skill, I don't think asking for a lot of extra help should be
necessary so long as you keep doing what you know is right, and don't
do what you know are bad habits.

Good luck,

On 5/24/14, Carly Mihalakis via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Good morning, Kelsey,
>
>          I don't know if I have responded to this yet, but perhaps,
> by having a group presentation of voice lessons, the teacher aims to
> instruct particular postures for maximizing projection of the voice,
> maybe certain ways of moving your lips for clear e nun cee ation of
> words? As far as I can see, that's about an only practical way one
> could hold a"group" choir class. Tell us if I'm wrong. Good luck, Kelsey!
> for today, CarAt 12:33 PM 4/28/2014, Kelsey Nicolay wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>I had to stop taking voice lessons with my current teacher due to
>>personal reasons.  I am going to take the summer off, but I am
>>looking to start back up again once choir starts in September
>>since I don't want to lose the skills I gained.  Therefore, I am
>>considering a group class.  However, there are none in my town.
>>There is one at a music conservatory that someone in the choir
>>goes to, but it's a half hour away in another county.  The fore,
>>using transit is not going to work and my family can't always be
>>there to take me.  Therefore, would it be acceptable to ask the
>>person if I could ride with her and offer to give her some money
>>for gas? Also, for a blind student, how effective is a group
>>class going to be? With private lessons, the instructor can spend
>>one on one time with you to demonstrate physically certain
>>concepts, but with a group class, that's more difficult.  What do
>>you guys think about a blind person doing a group class? I have
>>studied before, so would I be able to handle the group
>>environment? What are some ways I could ensure equal access to
>>the concepts presented in the class? I have heard that group
>>classes aren't always the best for blind people, but it might be
>>my only option.  I could easily arrange for music to be brailled
>>since I have a transcriber and someone who can emboss it, so that
>>won't be an issue at all.  Would I have to spend additional one
>>on one time with the instructor to solidify my understanding?
>>Anyone with experience with any kind of group musical class,
>>please feel free to share your experiences.
>>Thanks,
>>Kelsey

>>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40comcast.net

Kaiti