[nabs-l] is there any place for schools for the blind?

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 2 21:39:44 UTC 2014

Hi Jorge and all,

I also attend NYISE and find shall to be a very good school.  I
know exactly what you're talking ab; a few years ago I actually
went to Albany to protest against the proposed budget cut to
close the schools for people with disabilities in New York.

In my opinion, going to a school for the blind can really help
your education a lot, as everybody there knows about your
blindness and truly believe that you can be successful in life.
I think they do a really good job of helping us with that.

 Unlike other schools where they might focus mainly on the
blindness and not see the person behind the disability that you
truly are.
 I know this from my personal experience.  I went to regular
public school for elementary school and the beginning of sixth
grade.  I think that elementary school was ok and the people
there understood about my blindness, but when I started middle
school, my TVI stopped working with me and I got a new one, but I
don't think she actually knows Braille, as she had to send a note
home with me every day to ask my mom to transcribe my schoolwork
and homework into Braille.  Not only did my mom get tired of
doing this, but I felt that she shouldn't have had to do this,
and that it was my TVI's job to get my materials in Braille, not
my mom's.
 I also felt that in regular middle school, I was being
discriminated against my classmates and friends, as my teachers
would constantly tell me to do things I felt I shouldn't have to
do, such as raising my hand to ask the teacher what he or she
wrote on the board.  I thought that one in particular was
extremely pointless, as why couldn't my teachers such describe
orally what we were studying in the lesson.
Finally, my parents got smart and decided to send me to a school
for the blind.  So then I started going to the NYISE (which is
the school that Jorge talked about) when I was in 7th grade and
began to like it a lot.  I felt that at that school, the teachers
were very understanding and accomodating of my blindness, I got
really good grades, and met and made friends with people who are
blind like me.  Before I attended the Institute for Special
Education, I have only known sighted kids, and now, I know many
blind students who live in New York.
Without the Institute, I don't know how I would have done these
things and become so successful.

So, my overall opinion on this question is, yes, schools for the
blind are still necessary, as if you don't have a really positive
experience with regular public schools, going to a school for the
blind is probably your best choice.

I think that we should give credit to schools for the blind (even
if you don't attend one) for all their hard work, effort and
comitment into helping us (the blind) strive for success and
independence.

Thanks,

Sami.