[nabs-l] is there any place for schools for the blind?

Jorge Paez jorgeapaez1994 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 22:11:02 UTC 2014

Sami and all:
I have no doubt that they have done a lot in the field of education in the past.
And I understand where you're coming from.
Like I said, I was in that school for 3 years, before going to public
elementary school and then doing the rest of my schooling through the
public system.
While I do not doubt that the benefits you mentioned exist, on the
contrary I agree with you on those points, there are 2 main factors
that raise a bit of a question for me.
First of all, is the social issue.
I do not doubt there was discrimination in this case, though it is
done more out of ignorance then anything else on the part of the
teacher.
I know personally how frustrating that can be.
On the other hand though, we do live in a sighted world, and, other
then the school for the blind or NFB related events, rarely are we so
many in one place, so although important in some ways I feel the
school for the blind is in a way an environment which does not leave
us prepared for the real world since there are many challenges, some
of which Sami outlined, which we'll face later on and the earlier we
learn to deal with them, the sooner we learn to advocate for ourselves
and the stronger we'll become as an individual.
I'll also just raise another issue on my own, and its the friendship issue.
In public school, its a lot harder to make friends, specially in
middle school/high school, because most of us, particularly those of
us who are totals (meaning totally blind) can't run around and do
everything else that our peers are up to.
And yes, that can be frustrating at times, but again, its those social
situations that we have to get used to since we'll be facing different
variations on the same themes as we grow older.
Now, to address Sami's point about his TVI.
You're right.
Your TVI should have known braille.
I do agree with you there; that's a major problem.
Unfortunately though, I think that by leaning more heavily on schools
for the blind, we're leaving the status quo instead of trying to
improve the situation.
I'm not talking in individual cases.
Maybe that was the best for Sami,
but if a lot of parents did that, or tended to do that then the
departments responsible for TVI qualifications are just going to keep
on like they always have.
Again, for the record, I'm not saying Sami's parents didn't make the
right decision in his individual case, I'm just using the points Sami
brought up and using them in a more globalized construct of issues
that we face in the public school system.