[nabs-l] What do you think: does getting involved with a blindness organization or society involve working in the real world?

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Oct 4 03:49:10 UTC 2014

Two things, your numbers are wrong, 30 percent of the population is
not blind, if you cound blind and visually impaired, it is probably
more like 2 or 3 percent.

Secondly, you make it sound like associating with blind people,
and/or working for a blindness agency, is a black and white decision
from being in the sighted world.  However we can do both.  I have
blind friends and sighted friends.  I get different things from
them.  I belong to the NFB and spend some of my time working on our
causes.  I also work, and some of my colleagues are blind, some
sighted.  I currently  work for a blind rehab agency, but have also
worked for regular businesses and/or nonproffits in the past, some
with no other disabled employees.  So it isn't either or...

Dave

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org