[nabs-l] Internships

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 03:24:57 UTC 2014

Hi Sophia and all,

There are already a lot of great responses on here, but I'll add mine
in case it is of any use to you.  This past summer I worked at a
national non-profit company, which produces braille magazines,
provides packing and shipping jobs for blind people in the community
as well as braille proof-reading jobs, and does several other things.
I worked in the braille transcription department assembling the
magazines, and used a computer when I worked as a receptionist.

Probably mainly because this was a blindness agency, I was extremely
lucky with most of the receptionist work and the accomodations.  The
phone extension list was already brailled, because the company
actively hires blind people for this position.  For signing people in
they use a spreadsheet on the computer in Excel.  Because I didn't
have access to the computer on which the Excel sheet is housed for the
regular receptionists, I chose to bring in my own machine.  A friend
of mine, who was working with me and also covered reception, also did
this; I used my laptop, and she chose to use her Apex.  We each took
note of the person's name, the time they logged in, who they were
coming to see, the time they left, and the badge that we gave them and
whether or not it was returned.  To work around not having access to
the spreadsheet directly, we just emailed our logs to the
receptionist, who filled them in to the spreadsheet when she was
available.

Had I had access to the computer though, and had it not already had
Jaws on it, I would have just brought along a thumb drive with NVDA on
it.  You can run the full version of NVDA from a flashdrive, no demos,
which is really nice.  You can also install eloquence drivers on it,
so it sounds just like Jaws.  The commands are only slightly
different, and for a free screenreader it is really good.  I'd
recommend just doing that if you don't want to use a Jaws demo.
Though I didn't use this method at this summer internship, I did use
it at a campus job I had last year and it worked well.

Good luck,

Kaiti