[nabs-l] Questions About Purchasing/using a traditional blindness notetaker vs a braille display paired with an I-Device

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 07:44:50 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone:

I believe I've posted a couple of threads related to this subject, but
I really want to either get either a new notetaker or a braille
display and pair it with my Iphone and have some questions.
Currently, I have a very old, very outdated Pacmate from 2007 that I
haven't used in like two years.
Because the cost of a traditional blindness notetaker (such as say the
Braille Sense u2) is like $5,000 I was considering purchasing a
braille display and just paring it with my Iphone.
Does anyone do this and if so how does it work for you?
Is it a viable option?
How does it do when you have to take notes in an hour-long class or meeting?
Do most of the braille displays have a way for you to take notes on
them internally or do you have to use an app on the Iphone for taking
notes?
Besides being able to take notes and read them in braille, another
thing I really miss doing is reading books from say Bookshare, BARD,
or I-Books with a braille display.
Does reading novels/books from these sites work well using a braille
display and an Iphone?
Thanks,
Kerri