[nabs-l] Blindness and body contact

Darian dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 05:33:34 UTC 2014

Hello:
While there are certainly cultural considerations that are worth thinking about, I am going to make A sweeping generalization, here.
I am of the belief that people tend to initiate physical contact a lot more with blind people van they would someone who isn't blind.
I have heard sighted people justify this by saying that they would think that they would appreciate being touched as it would serve to calm them in situations where they would be nervous
Personally I don't see where being touched by someone you don't know is acceptable for any reason  I have grown up and neighborhoods/environments that were not necessarily the safest and one doesn't know what someone is thinking when they're going to grab you   For this reason, I do find myself to be a little more defensive for sure.
Darian

Sent from my iPhone