[nabs-l] Blindness and body contact

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 01:42:23 UTC 2014

I think this is just something that occurs with older people in general. It may happen more to blind people than others. If so, I wonder if it isn’t out of a need for some kind of contact. Eye contact is pretty important in most conversations among two sighted people. In the absence of that contact, people may consciously or unconsciously replace it with physical contact, a touch of the hand on your shoulder, back, etc to form that connection. I don’t think it is always paternalistic, treating you like a child, etc.