[nabs-l] Blindness and body contact

Liliya Asadullina lily2011a at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 04:59:16 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,
I have definitely experienced these type of behaviors from sighted
folks  numerous of times.  I believe that the tapping on the shoulder,
hand, or hugging actions are intended towards us because we can not
see their facial expressions.  They feel like it is a way to
communicate with us in a nonverbal fashion.  Since we are not able to
see their smile or make direct eye contact, they feel like touch is
another way to communicate with us.  In this type of situation, I
usually slowly start to move a small distance from them and try to
look at them.  This sometime gives them a hint that you don't want to
be touched in that way.  I agree that It can still be really awkward
though.  Maybe next time you see that person, mention to her in a nice
way that it is nothing against her, but you don't like to be touched.
Or mention it to her once you have gotten to know her better.  There
isn't really a way to not be a little awkward about it.
Also, sometimes older people put their arm around others because they
are just compassionate people.  A lot of international people do the
same thing.  Some people just express themselves through touch.  Just
try to go with your gut feeling to figure out what the person is
intending.
Hope this helps some.
Peace,
Liliya