[nabs-l] Questions concerning study abroad

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 03:12:18 UTC 2014

Hi, Kayla,

Carly has a point, and as someone who is also applying to a service
learning/short-term study abroad program, here's what I'm planning on
doing to raise money should I get in.  Granted, the cost of this
program is probably less than other, traditional ones since it's only
10 days long, but it's still a chunk of change.

Have you heard of the site GoFundMe?  It's a crowd funding site, and
some of the pages get crazy amounts of money.  You set a goal, and
write up a story on your web site telling donors how the money would
benefit you.  A friend, who has had experience working in marketing
and advertising, told me that if I do this, I should include some sort
of kick-back for the donors like, "Those who donate will receive
YouTube/Blog updates from me while I'm abroad," so they can see how
their contribution paid off for you.
I don't know what you're studying or what hobbies you have, but you
could always capitalize on that.  E.G, I'm studying music therapy and
play the guitar, so I plan on performing at coffee shops, my
grandparent's restaurant, and anywhere I can go.  I'll tell people
what I'm trying to do and pass a hat around.  I did this sort of thing
once before when at 16 I got into a special music program in
Philadelphia for blind students who wanted to study music in college,
and my tuition for that was way out of my league.  I have also played
as a guest performer for two different classmates in high school; one
got into the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, and put on a
concert to raise money to start paying his tuition.  The other got
accepted to "Music Embassadors," a summer program which takes gifted
high school musicians around Europe to play and sing concerts.  Every
time I've participated in something like this, the results of support
from bystanders has been surprisingly generous.
If you haven't already, talk to your financial aid office and your
university's international affairs dept.  For us, it's called "Center
for International Programs."  They may have funding you can apply for
to specifically go abroad, and that way you can still apply for
scholarships for grad school.  Although, I tend to agree with Carly in
that it doesn't really matter so much what you spend the scholarship
on; either way you'll have to pay for Grad school which is expensive,
and going abroad which is expensive, so either way, any scholarship
you may get would save you money that you can apply to the second
thing, grad school or abroad.

Hope this helps.

On 10/23/14, Carly Mihalakis via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Good morning, Kayla,
>
>          Well, it seems you might considder that
> the makings of a "well-rounded" academic might
> involve experience beyond  tons, and tons of book
> learning. therefore, you might considder devoting
> some of your presumed schollarship ops toward
> study abroad. Aftter all, anyone can amass book
> knowledge while a pursuit of certain study abroad
> or volunteer ops, just might give you that edge
> to counteract your blindness. If it were me,
> then, I would regard studying abroad as a
> profound addition to my skill set, and experience.
> for today, Car
>
> /2014, Kayla Weathers via nabs-l wrote:
>>Hi NABS, hope everyone is having a great
>>semester.  I know some of you on the list have
>>had the opportunity to study abroad. Iâ EURO (tm)ve had
>>it on my bucket list for quite a while, but
>>Iâ EURO (tm)ve heard it can be pretty expensive. I was
>>just wondering if you know of any resources or
>>tips that I should consider before assuming that
>>I canâ EURO (tm)t afford it and just throw the idea out?
>>I know that there are of course lots of
>>scholarships, but Iâ EURO (tm)m planning to go to
>>graduate school after earning my BA, and feel
>>like I should save all of the scholarships that
>>I might be eligible for and use them for grad
>>school as opposed to a summer or semester
>>abroad. Iâ EURO (tm)d appreciate any suggestions and
>>advice anyone who has studied abroad can offer.
>>Thanks, Kayla
>>your account info for nabs-l:
>>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40comcast.net

Kaiti