[nabs-l] Marching Band

Miso Kwak kwakmiso at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 00:16:13 UTC 2014

What Marissa pointed out is how I marched my competitive parades.
 From my experience, the guider method works perfectly well with parades
and certainly adaptable with field band which Johnnie's school seems to
be doing.
Side steping or also known as sliding is also possible and can be done
with the guider.
My high school did not heavily march field shows (mostly competitive
parades) but I have done basic field band including forward marching,
sliding, and backward marching with a guider.
Teather is a possible option but based on my experience, is not the
best option because each uniform is structured differently, so not
every uniform is conveniently built for attaching the teather.
Also, if your high school band is marching in a competitive field show,
it will not serve well for the band's performance as a whole. You may
disagree, but I don't think participation of a blind student should
serve as a down side for the band as a whole.
If your band is performing only locally, teather can work out given
that you are able to utilize it with your uniform and you have people
who are willing.
In terms of finding a guider, I would recommend a student who is
willing and is a good marcher but not necessarily the strongest
musician. This will serve greatly for both you and the band.
However, this may not be the best solution depending on the size of
your band, type of band, style of the show, etc.
Lastly, if your band is competing, your band director should be able to
get appropriate paperwork stating that the band has a blind student if
that is necessary.
Best regards,
Miso Kwak