[nabs-l] Accessibility for the blind

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 03:27:18 UTC 2014

Mabelin,

Welcome to the NABS list! I hope you find us a welcoming group and that the discussion which takes place here is as informative and helpful for you as it has been for me over the years. I look forward to your contributions.

I use a variety of access technologies for a variety of tasks. For some notetaking and mostly for bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone, I use a BrailleNote Apex BT, though I will likely switch from a notetaker to a stand-alone Braille display after my graduation from high school. I currently use a PC running Windows 7 and JAWS 14. I have NVDA installed as a backup screen reader but use it very rarely. As anyone who knows me even casually can tell, I rely heavily on my iPhone 5C with VoiceOver for myriad purposes. To go through the 5 pages of apps which crowd my home screen would certainly clutter the list and bore most readers to tears, so if you are interested in apps we can certainly talk off-list. The final pieces in my AT arsenal are a Victor Reader Stream (the old one, unfortunately—I really want the new one) and a good old-fashioned Perkins Brailler. So that's what I use—hope it helps.

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone