[nabs-l] Things for music

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 03:39:39 UTC 2014

Great minds think alike, I guess.  Lol.

Also, to correct an error I saw in my post (I was geeking out about
theory stuff and was thinking faster than I could type), the acronym
for the sharps in order is **five** cats got drunk at Erny's bar.

Also, here's another idea.  Sit down at a piano and play through the
circle of fifths in scales.  Start with C major with no flats or
sharps, then go to G Major with one sharp, D major with 2 sharps, etc.
Play backwards as well.  This will help establish the circle of fifths
in your memory, and will also give you practice with scales and key
relationships too.  Plus, it is a warm up you can keep for life on any
instrument; every time I practice clarinet, I do long tones, an
exercise called the tongue tickler, a sticato study, and then all my
major scales and arpeggios going in circle of fifths order.  Following
a similar warm up routine, especially when you're still in high
school, can make things a lot easier for you later on down the road if
you're serious about music.

HTH.

On 9/18/14, Karl Martin Adam via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Marissa,
>
> If you're at all serious about music you should memorize this!
> Starting in the key of C the keys go up in fifths, so G, D, A, E,
> B, F sharp, C sharp.  For every key after C you sharp the leading
> tone, so the sharps are F, C, G, D, A, E, B.  When you're doing
> flats you go the other way from C, so F, B flat, E flat, A flat,
> D flat, G flat, C flat.  After the key of C you flat the note a
> fifth below the tonic (the note the scale starts on), so your
> flats are B, E, A, D, G, C, F.  Repeat the lists of flats and
> sharps to yourself till you have them memorized.  That way, when
> you see music in say four flats you know it's the key of A flat
> (or F minor) and that the flats are b, e, a, d.  The list of
> flats is cool because the first four spell "bead".  Also, the
> other thing that can help you remember it is that the sharps are
> the flats spelled backwards and vice versa.  Another way to help
> memorize this is to go around the circle of fiths when you
> practice scales.  Start somewhere and go up or down a few keys
> when you warm up.
>
> Best,
> Karl

Kaiti