[nabs-l] where to start

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:12:55 UTC 2014

Hi, I admittedly haven't read the thread, so apologies for repeating
anything. I haven't used it since 2007 but found the Counselor-o-matic
feature on the Princeton Review website very helpful. It asks you a
lot of questions about what you want in a school and "matches" you
with schools. I then took this information and explored school's
websites including the pages of the departments I was interested in. I
finally collated a list of schools to visit. The visit really can make
a difference! I recommend visiting if at all possible and doing more
than the canned tour, although at smaller schools, the tours can be
smaller and the guides can offer a lot more information than what is
possible in the giant tours.

I think this is an excellent time for you to be narrowing down where
you are going to apply so you can save senior year for the
applications! I traveled during spring break. I do recommend getting
the SAT/ACT over with this year so if you don't like your score you
can study a lot and try again; I took both twice. My score did not
change as the tests are designed quite well to capture what they want
to capture, but I also did not attend classes or really change the way
I studied between attempts so that could be a reason for the similar
scores as well.

Cindy

--
Cindy Bennett
Graduate Student, University of Washington

Treasurer of the Greater Seattle Chapter and of the National
Federation of the Blind of Washington
Affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind

clb5590 at gmail.com