[nabs-l] advocating accessibility and feeling blamed, what to do

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 30 02:26:47 UTC 2014

Hi Kaiti,

Thanks for your advice and I will most definitely start printing out
corespondence.
As I read this disability coordinator's comments, not only did she blame me
for failing to advocate to my ds counselor, but also
she fails to take any responsibility to address such issues. Further, her
response was full of mistakes as if she could not even take the time to
write a good gramatical free email. At least she did address my concerns one
by one and label her responses with numbers.

I don't know the new digital accessibility coordinator's role. However, I do
intend to ask him, all be it politely,
as well as ask him what steps he will take to solve such issues once I meet
him.
He supposedly has something to do with web accessibility.

I agree you should not have to use a different browser. My jaws skills are
intermediate to advanced but I also know that things have to be coded right
for jaws to read, and its evident certain things are not. So, whether my
skills are advanced is debatable, but either way, this is not the issue.

If I choose to write to a higher authority about it, do you think I should
include past copies of my corespondence? I'm wondering if referencing what
dates I wrote letters is enough.
I'm also debating how much time is reasonable to wait for them to redesign
the site for greater access.
I'll start keeping track once I meet the digital coordinator of the time.
I'm guessing about a month and a half. I'm doing this now so when I take
another business elective, the site will be fixed hopefully.

Sorry to learn your tech people give you the run around too.

Ashley