[nabs-l] Purchasing Braille Displays VS. Braille Note taking Devices

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 00:55:16 UTC 2015

Jordyn,

I have used various models of the BrailleNote for most of my school career.
However, I have recently found that the Apex has become more unreliable and
buggy with each passing update. As you may know, even the Apex runs Windows
CE 6.0, an operating system which was discontinued with the release of
Windows XP in 2001. For this reason, files often became corrupt for no
apparent reason and the unit had to be reset very frequently.

Back in February I finally decided I had had enough and began doing research
on alternatives. I found that most of the features I was using on my
notetaker would be available to me on a Braille display, whether on the unit
alone or while connected to my iPhone. Therefore, I decided to go the
Braille display route, requesting a Braille Edge from my school district. I
chose the Edge because it has some basic notetaking capabilities built in,
though it functions primarily as an input/output device for an iOS device or
a PC. Though still a Braille display, it has a built-in notepad, calculator,
alarm, clock, stopwatch, countdown timer, and scheduler. These were the only
features I was using on my BrailleNote anyway, so I didn't see much sense in
having my school district pay extra for a BrailleSense just because it has
features I probably wouldn't use. Last week I received my BrailleEdge, and
am loving it thus far. I use the notepad to take short notes for myself, but
my schoolwork is done primarily with the Microsoft Word iPhone app. All
other needs are mostly covered by the various iPhone apps I can use while
paired with my Braille Edge.

As others have said, it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer
wordprocessing on my iPhone or PC, largely because it is simply more
reliable. This involves a learning curve, however, as I had to learn how to
use the Word app. If you are looking for a display with some simple
notetaking features, I would recommend the Braille Edge highly. If you want
a fully-functioning notetaker, the BrailleSense is a great choice. Please
let me know if you have any questions about the Edge.

Hope this helps,

Chris