[nabs-l] A Question for Braille Display Users

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:08:00 UTC 2015

Hello All,

As I mentioned in an earlier post to this list, I have switched my notetaking device from a BrailleNote Apex to a Braille Edge 40. I'm loving it so far, but I'm running into one annoying problem.

 I have a copy of a textbook which I obtained in Microsoft Word format from the publisher. Each chapter is in a separate Word file within a larger folder which I currently have saved on an SD card. It appears that even a single chapter is too large to open in the Braille Edge's notepad. The Edge gets stuck at 0 percent and requires a reset to get unfrozen. I made due by opening one of the chapters on my computer and using JAWS to read it, but I think the material would be read much more easily with Braille. So, for any students who use a Braille Edge or a similar display, how do you access large files such as textbooks with your Braille display? Perhaps there's a way to do this that I don't know yet. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Chris Nusbaum