[nabs-l] No Braille? No Literacy!

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Mon Apr 27 22:42:52 UTC 2015

Greetings Miss Mihalakis,
	I certainly agree that over generalization is a bad thing; however, I am not sure if I can agree with your dichotomous depiction of sighted and nonsighted individuals, as I understand it. Do you really mean that blind folk are entirely different from sighted people? If so, how can you have revelry in one’s ocular failings, if you have nothing to compare it to? Surely, after all, if you are reveling in your situation, you have something to compare it to; but, if I understand your depiction of the relationship between the two, a sighted person can never gain access to the same space as a blind person, as it applies to interpersonal relations.

All:
As it applies to the topic of this thread, though, I think the main contention I have with Arielle’s point is that cultural boundaries are developed through the experience of the individuals who make up said culture. Naturally, if we have this conception of literacy as print-interpretation, then we will, necessarily, need to reject listening as a form of literacy. My suggested solution to this conundrum, simply put, is why listening cannot be a form of literacy for sighted people as well? I certainly would not exclude them from that form of literacy, mostly because I do not believe there should be an otherisation of either sighted or blind people. We still, at the end of the day, are all homosapians.

I really like this topic, though!