[nabs-l] college! Aah! freaking out

Bryan Duarte bjduarte at asu.edu
Thu Aug 6 16:37:53 UTC 2015

Kayla,

I don't know how there is any truth left to mention after Mary's post but here is another angle for you to consider.

When you are nervous about starting something new, this is the fuel you need to let that fire burn inside you. We are all a little nervous or scared to begin something new especially when we have already been told point blank the odds are stacked against us before we ever step foot on job or campus. I will echo what Mary and others have already said because they said it so much better than I could, and that is be nervous, be a little scared of the unknown,but also be confident in yourself. Here are a few tips for you getting started.
• Contact your disability services advisor and schedule a meeting in person as soon as possible. In this meeting you need to lay out everything you can think of that you may need to be successful. Some examples of this are a computer with a screen reader or zoom text software, talking calculator, note taker, extended time for exams, assistance getting acclimated with your campus and classrooms, etc. If you do not ask chances are they will not either then you end up struggling half way through the semester. In short be your best advocate.
• As Ashley mentioned use a calendar for everything!!!! Everyone who knows me knows that my phone is always vibrating with appointments or classes. When I get my semester schedule I put them all in my iPhone calendar right away so I know where my obligations are first then I can schedule other meetings or events around that. Some examples here are; advising meetings, club meetings, school events i.e. football games, meeting for lunch with a friend, or even when to study. It sounds funny but set alarms for every one of these because you will see how easy it is to miss something because there was no alarm to remind you.
• Meet your professors! I will say it again, meet your professors personally and almost annoyingly. Every semester before classes begin I email my professors to let them know who I am and what I might need from them this upcoming semester. If I know the class will be project based I ask them to explain to me the requirements of the project so I can come up with my own project which will meet the course competencies yet allow me to do it a different way. Especially in Software Engineering where everyone wants to develop video games or mobile applications it is very difficult to find a class where the project is to do just that. If you meet your professors a head of time and let them know who you are they will be much more understanding when you come to them during their office hours to ask a question before an exam or assignment.
• Finally I want to encourage you to always make time for studies. Again I feel like I am repeating everything Mary and others said here but you will have a great time in college. You will attend football games where the ASU Sun Devils beat your team like 60 to 10 or something, meet friends, join clubs, find a work study position, and I am not sure what Mary is talking about sleepless nights, or parties I have never seen that at Arizona State, but I guess that does happen as well. If you make time for studies you will be fine I promise. Fun is 90 percent why we go there in the first place. It is the most expensive cover charge to a fun event you will ever pay and continue to pay for 4 years or more!!!

Here is a quote I love from Thomas Edison:
"I have not failed I only found 10,000 ways that wont work"

You will never fail if you try, you will only fail if you do not try or if you give up! Good luck Kayla and I want to see you on the stage during a national convention receiving a national scholarship some day soon!!!

Go Devils!

Bryan Duarte
ASU Software Engineering
QwikEyes CEO