[nabs-l] college! Aah! freaking out

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 05:23:32 UTC 2015

Kayla!
First, take a deep breath. And grab a bar or truffle of your preferred
chocolate before continuing. If there is no chocolate, ice-cream will
do in a pinch. If you are really running low on options, jam and
toast?
Anyway, everyone has a bit of a breakdown before heading to college. I
did. I mean, you have to live on your own, you have to do your own
laundry for crying out loud! You have to feed yourself. You have to
get up and ready and show up to class, all on your own. You have three
tests in the semester and that's what your grades are based on. OH
yeah, and then there is the socializing, and finding your people. And
have I mentioned the academics?
So, yes, college is very different than high school. But think about
it this way. I am not sure if you are going out of state, and moving
into campus, or whether you are commuting. But college gives you an
opportunity to expand your mind and way of thinking in a way that you
have not yet experienced. Yes, there are those exams, but honestly,
professors teach because they actually love teaching. And professors
like few things more than having a student come to them with
questions. They actually want you to succeed.
Socializing is also a chance to build new and awesome relationships
which will probably last for decades to come. Let's put it this way,
in August countless 17 and 18 year old across the whole of America,
are having this same freaking out moment. Everyone will be just as
lost as you are when they get to campus. They won't know where any of
the buildings are, and they’ll be scared to death about the unknown.
But then two weeks will go by, and you find that your French class
partner is kind of cool, and you have lunch together.
I'm sure you have questions about accommodations, and materials, and
books, and these are very legitimate and real concerns. Work closely
with your professors and disability services office to make sure that
you get the materials you need. You'll have to be a strong advocate
for yourself. Also, be as prepared as possible. Go on Bookshare and
see if some of the texts you'll be using are there. Use NLS, learning
Ally, etc. Google articles when all else fails. Chances are, if it was
in an academic journal you should be able to access it through your
school’s library.  Be resourceful, and ask questions. Always ask
questions! And don’t forget, you have all of us on this list serv when
you have questions.
Most people recall college with great fondness. It is a time when you
start to really grow into the contributing member of society that you
will be. It is a time of discovery, of intellectual stimulation, of
making friends, of partying too much and regretting it the next day.
And then, three years after you graduate, you’ll wonder how you were
ever able to pull an all nighter, take an exam the next day, and
manage to pass… All of that is to say, that you too will survive!
Warmly,
Mary Fernandez