[nabs-l] Accessibility of turnitin.com

Bridget Walker bridgetawalker13 at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 22:30:34 UTC 2015

Hi Kayla,
I use turn it in all the time. I have jaws 16 with windows 8.2 right now.
The part of Turn It In that I found tricky was uploading files. I combatted this problem by tabbing to the browse link and hitting enter. Once I was in my documents I  arrowed to the document I needed to upload. I hit enter to select it. I know there is some other dialog box where you have to select an option after selecting the file. I can't remember it off hand. I tab until I find it. I think what you are looking for actually says upload and the other option says cancel.
After you upload your file turn it in will let you view it. However, the file is an image it is  not accessible to a screen reader. I never had luck with this part of the process. I just make sure when I upload I have the correct document and at the bottom of the page you will have two or three options. It depends on your professor. You could submit, save, or cancel. Tab or arrow to the one you want and it enter.
Many colleges have a turn it in upload notice sent to your college email. Once you get this email you will be able to view your paper.
I recommend checking the originality report. You can do this by going back to the assignment and instead of selecting submit, you will select view. You can do this with a simple tab and enter.
Once you are in the document you will want to locate originality. I honestly have trouble finding it sometimes so I will just use the jaws find function. The originality report will come up on the right side of the screen. I can't remember what command I use to read the text. It is able to be read with Jaws.
I like the originality report because it shows the accuracy of your citations and the accuracy of quotes, paraphrasing, and parenthetical citations.
I hope this helps.
Bridget

Sent from my iPad