[nabs-l] Preparing For The First Day Of School

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 05:00:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

Switching majors isn't a problem; I have a roommate who is now on her
third major because it took her a while to find the one she loved, but
finally she's in the right place.  She came in as music ed, switched
to early childhood ed because she thought she just didn't like
teaching music, then discovered after the first semester of sophomore
year that teaching was the problem.  She switched to pre-med the
following semester and has been much happier ever since.  Don't be
afraid to change if you feel you want to.

I have found the sooner you contact your professors about books and
syllabi the better off you are.  Also, I like to make the offer to
meet with each professor to discuss my accommodations before taking
their classes.  This has been especially helpful in math and science
courses for me, and it also helps put the professor at ease because
they see accommodations aren't a big deal.  Sometimes those meetings
are great for brainstorming and the professor comes up with a great
reasonable accommodation on their own (E.G, my anatomy professor came
up with the idea to let me borrow her 3D models in our meeting last
March).  Then you have professors who just want to check all their Ts
are crossed, and those meetings are also great for establishing a
good, working relationship before class beigins.  Not all professors
will want a meeting, and some will prefer the phone over in-person,
but definitely make the offer to meet with them in some way if you
can.

I also like to go through my schedule a day or two before classes
begin so I learn where my new rooms are.  I used to do this with my
O&M instructor, but have not done so since early on in college as I
know my campus well enough now to figure out things on my own or by
asking directions.  You may find either approach helpful, or might
change between one or the other depending on how comfortable you feel
with the areas you need to frequent on campus before each semester.

I hope this helps,

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/sgermano%40asu.ed