[nabs-l] Fwd: Fwd: Taking on line classes and overcoming difficult situations

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 22:35:00 UTC 2015

Hello Carlos,

I wish you the best of luck as you embark on your path to completing your
degree. I have never tried taking classes while working full time, so I am
not quite sure how much advice I can give you regarding this question.
However, Learning Ally recently launched a mentoring program which includes
various articles on their website regarding different aspects of being a
successful blind student. I remember reading at least one article on time
management, so perhaps you might want to check out some of their articles.

Based on my own personal experience, I find traditional face-to-face classes
work better for me than online classes. I have found that attending an
actual class helps to keep me more motivated and on track as far as class
assignments and readings are concerned. However, for those who take online
classes, I would suggest finding and using some sort of calendar system to
keep track of due dates for assignments, quizzes, exams, and discussion
posts. I would recommend viewing at least a week at a time when looking at
your calendar as this has been the typical time frame I have seen used for
online classes.

Finally, if going back to college as a full time student after a past failed
attempt intimidates you, perhaps you can consider taking a lighter load of
classes. Also, if your college has a drop and add period that allows you to
receive a refund for dropping a class after it starts, you could try out
your classes during the drop and add period to see how well they will fit
for you as a student who also has a full time job.

Hopefully some of this will help you answer some of your questions.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth