[nabs-l] Fwd: Fwd: Taking on line classes and overcoming difficult situations

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:20:42 UTC 2015

Hello Carlos,

I can definitely understand how it can sometimes be difficult to find
solutions to a problem while feeling frustrated or overwhelmed by things.
However, I have a few thoughts about how to go about accessing inaccessible
documents as well as the discussion boards for your classes.

I think it is safe to say that most blind students run into problems
accessing print materials for their classes. I know the inaccessible PDF
documents pose a challenge for a number of people. I do not have any
experience using the OCR function with JAWS, but it is definitely something
worth considering.

There is also a free service out there called RoboBraille which may also
help you convert your PDF documents into other file types such as a Word
document. You can find out more about this service by visiting
www.robrobraille.org for more information about this service. I have used it
in the past, and felt it was a good solution for reading the PDF document I
was trying to read at the time. Although, I cannot recall how accessible or
inaccessible the PDF document was when I used RoboBraille to help me convert
it to a format that was easier for me to use.

Also, there was a recent discussion on here about opening PDF documents in
one of the online platform apps for the IPhone using the KNFB Reader app. I
do not have any experience in accessing PDF documents this way, but thought
I would mention it as a possibility if you have the KNFB Reader app on your
IPhone. I hear it is a good investment if it is something you can afford.

Finally, perhaps you could find someone to help convert the PDF files you
need into a more accessible format for you. I believe finding independent
ways of doing things is usually the best route for anyone to take. However,
as someone with a full time job in addition to taking classes, this option
may help you make the most out of your time. Perhaps your disabilities
office could do this for you, or perhaps you could get another classmate to
do this for you in exchange for something else like sharing your class notes
with this person.

As far as accessing the discussion boards for your class, I have a few ideas
for this as well. If you have been testing out the online platform you will
be using to see how well it works with JAWS, and you have not encountered
any major problems during your testing, I suspect you should not have any
major difficulty accessing and participating in the discussion board.
However, if you do run into trouble, here are a few things for you to try.

First, if you can read the discussion board prompt, and you are asked to
simply respond to this prompt, perhaps you could write out your response in
a Word document and have someone else help you post your response to the
discussion board. If you are not able to access the discussion prompt,
perhaps you could ask your professor to email it to you until you are able
to figure out how to access the discussion board. Responding to discussion
boards where you need to respond to what other students say might be a bit
more tricky than a single post discussion board, but you could still use
these techniques to form your initial response.

I believe my college offers face-to-face sessions to teach students how to
use the online platform system. They also provide a help desk number for
students to call regarding computer questions for students using computers
on campus as well as students using the online platform on computers off
campus. While the people who provide this kind of assistance may not
necessarily know much about using JAWS with the online platform, they might
be able to help you figure out a way for you to use the online platform when
you run into trouble while using it.

Finally, if your college offers any kind of tutoring service, you may wish
to look into whether or not they could help you access the discussion boards
if you have trouble using them. In addition to providing help with the
technical aspects of posting to the discussion board, they could also help
you draft your responses to the discussion board questions if writing is a
challenge for you.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help you with your concerns about
returning to classes to complete your degree. If none of them seem to work
for your particular situation, I hope these ideas will help spark some ideas
of your own that will work for your particular situation. I wish you the
best of luck in your classes, and I hope you can find a way to finish your
degree.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth