[nabs-l] taking a college class for no credit

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 06:16:44 UTC 2015

Hi,

First, it depends on whether or not you actually plan to enroll at
Tech.  As Arielle pointed out, you will only be there for a short
amount of time and if you don't officially enroll they can't even
issue you a transcript.  I definitely agree that you shouldn't
jeopardize your scholarship, but I also see the value in what you are
wanting to do to gain some practical experience with college before
jumping in.  One thing I've recently heard of someone doing was
"unofficially auditting" the class.  You might have interesting times
figuring this out as a new incoming student, but I've heard of people
just consistently sitting in on classes to learn without registering
with the university or officially auditing the class.  I know at our
university people who audit aren't really expected to take the tests
and do the homework if they don't want to since they're not being
graded anyway, but if the prof is willing to still provide you with
electronic coppies of the materials I don't see why you couldn't still
do the work for practice.  I agree that you should ask the college
prep coordinator or Pam, whoever you are in contact with.

You can also call your school's scholarship or financial aid office
and explain the situation.  You don't have to give away specifics if
you don't feel like it, but if you say you're a student with deferred
enrollment who has an opportunity to practice adjusting to college
while receiving some life skills training you could maintain some
annonymity if you're nervous about that being an issue.  However, no
one you talk to on the front lines of an office phone should have any
authority to mess with your scholarship even if you did use your name
and say it was blindness training you're going for, because you
haven't made any final moves yet.  I'd personally recommend just being
upfront about it and say that this is something you'd like to do if it
will not jeopardize your scholarship, because then you could outline
the benefits you'll get out of it.  You could also then have someone
from disability services back you up if you wished, which could
possibly swing things in your favor since you are trying to do a good
thing which would be beneficial to you.

Even if it doesn't work out, Justin makes a good point that you do
have nabs as a resource, as well as any other college student friends
or mentors you might have.  Don't forget about the resources that are
already available, especially because even after you go to LCB and
possibly take the class at Tech taking one class will be very
different from taking 4 or 5 at the same time.

HTH