[nabs-l] has anyone applied for SSI?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:44:35 UTC 2015

I'd recommend doing the application online.  I started by going to the
office in person, and the people there didn't have a clue what was
going on.  We went through an entire process (my mom and I) only to
find out that the attendant who was helping us filled out the wrong
form.  We had said, "SSI" the whole time," but somehow he insisted we
were applying for death of a parent benefits for me even though I was
18 and though my dad wasn't with my mom and I, he certainly wasn't
dead.  After we argued over whether or not he was still alive, the guy
said our appointment was up and didn't even offer to transfer our
answers to a new application or anything.  It took us a good 6 months
to get me set up, mainly because we needed to get through all the
people who didn't know what was going on to the people who did.

Try online.

On 2/2/15, Aleeha Dudley via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I have applied for SSI. The process is not fast at all. I went to the
> office, but the web forms are supposedly quite accessible. Just make sure
> you request your letters in Braille or in whatever format you need because
> this will be important when it comes to finding out the status of your case.
> HTH
> Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
> Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
> Email: blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com>
> blindness is not what holds you back.
> "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian
> proverb
>
>> On Feb 2, 2015, at 7:00 PM, Vejas Vasiliauskas via nabs-l
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Have any of you applied for social security disability benefits for being
>> blind?
>> Did you apply online or go to your social security office?
>> Also, how quickly is the process?
>> I would really appreciate anything you have to say about how you applied
>> or anything about the system, either positive or negative.
>> Vejas

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/blindcowgirl1993%40gmail.com

Kaiti