[nabs-l] Tips/advice of how to stay oriented when walking on the beach

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:16:23 UTC 2015

Hi Kayla,

 As a  Californian you would figure I practically live on the beach right?
 well, I don’t hit the beach too  often but  If there’s another landmark I can think of off the top of my head it is the consistency of the sand.  I’ve noticed that the  sand tends to get more  compacted and smooth  the closer you get to the shoreline.
  the rougher the   terrain the further away from the water you are going.
  If  I’m going to take a walk away from a group of friends or family I like to give a heads up and ask to keep a bit of an eye out.  Also might keep in mind a general idea of about how far I walked so as to give me an idea of how far I ought  to be  walking on the return trip.
 is there a land mark of  any sort  closer  towards the end of the sand?(trash can,signae or anything like that)I might use that in case I run into someone.   Possibly  just establish a point where people would meet up  if anyone gets separated from the group  the beach can be easy enough for sighted folks to get turned around because of the general lack of  obvious landmarks, so it’s certainly  not a bad idea to have such a system in place for all involved.