[nabs-l] Tips/advice of how to stay oriented when walking on thebeach

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 21:29:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've experienced similar things while on vacations with family.  What
I like to do is take a battery-operated radio down to the beach with
me and sit it by the towels and other stuff so I can more easily find
my way back to my little site without much assistance from others
giving me directions, my family calling out for me that they're "Over
here," or other stuff.  When I'm on the beach alone or just with my
siblings and cousins who are usually doing their own thing this has
worked well.

Of course other people can also bring radios to the beach, and they
often do, but I try to find a station that is unique enough that I'll
be able to figure out which radio is mine.  For some reason country
music seems to have been the beach-goer favorite at most of my
vacation sites, so sticking the radio on a top 40 station or a classic
rock one has usually done the trick.  Pandora is also great if you've
got a speaker you can bring with you because you can customize it and
you'll also not run the slight risk I've run of the commercials
cutting off the station call numbers and the genre of music I've put
on as much.

Otherwise, the surf, sand consistency, and other hints should help.
The only other tricky thing would be remembering where to go to get
back to your condo or hotel correctly, but if you have a sound source
near your stationary belongings like a towel and such you could use
that to orient yourself in a straight direction.

E.G, if you walk straight out from your place to the spot where you
put your stuff down, you should be able to pack everything up and walk
straight back.

Hope this helps.

On 2/7/15, Carly Mihalakis via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Good morning,
> Can't you simply use the sound of the waves?
> 10:13 AM 2/7/2015, you wrote:
>>Hi Kayla the compass would come in handy.  You could keep the
>>surface on one side of you as you walk along the shoreline.

>>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40comcast.net

Kaiti