[nabs-l] Why I attended my own Iep meetings

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 00:38:34 UTC 2015

Yes I absolutely agree. Although I attended my IEP's in high school
and a few before, I didn't really have an active role in the process.
Also, there were a couple of non-IEP "special meetings" between my
parents and teachers from which I was excluded over my protests. As
far as I know, these meetings were merely to answer teachers'
questions about my accommodation needs. I recall one meeting in
particular with my mother, TVI and future sixth-grade teachers at the
end of fifth grade. I wanted to participate but was denied, and
instead was required to wait in an adjoining room while the meeting
occurred. I actually spent the entire hour and a half with my ear
pressed up against the wall trying to see if I could hear what was
going on, which I couldn't. Funny story perhaps, but the whole
experience was incredibly disempowering. I still don't know what the
heck they discussed. Anyway, I definitely think blind students should
not only be active in their IEP's, but be in charge of other meetings
that might be requested.
Arielle