[nabs-l] Problems with grocery shopping

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 02:56:44 UTC 2015

Hi Kaiti,
You’ve gotten some really good advice. Learning how to make use of a shopping assistant is definitely a learning process and to be sure, not everyone assigned to assist is naturally good at it.

Even so, I have found that being as clear as possible has led to more success, even when the person assisting me may not naturally be good at describing what I need/finding items on the shelves. When this happens, I find that knowing what a particular item is near, where it is in the section, and even sometimes giving a physical description. When the person assisting me has a hard time finding something but then does locate it, I make a point to ask what it is next to or what color is the packaging etc. I don’t always remember but sometimes that info comes in handy  the next time.
As for finding deals, I shop the online ads for my store or use the iPhone app. That gives me a good idea for some items. For others, I ask how much the store brand costs and if there are other options that are more or less expensive from there. I find that most people who assist me are great at finding the best deal so I just ask them for price and how many ounces and do rough math in my head.

Now, I live within walking distance of a Kroger and so shop much more often. If I get matched up with someone who is clearly having a hard time finding what I need, sometimes I punt and get the essentials and plan to come back later in the week. I know that’s not convenient, especially if you are paying for transportation. I don’t think there is anything wrong with giving feedback to a manager if you didn’t have a great experience with someone assisting you. Maybe calling after you leave would be best, but saying something like, “I was just in your store and so-and-so helped me shop. I appreciate you assigning someone to shop with me but I wanted to let you know that so-and-so had a hard time finding a lot of the items I needed."

The online option is also fantastic if it is available in your area and you are currently paying for transportation to and from the store.

Best of luck.

-Greg

> [...]
>> and occasionally the wrong product.
>>
>> Sometimes, bringing the list in print helps, but I always have the
>> list in braille.
>>
>> If you are very concerned about the service at a particular store, you
>> might try calling the manager. Explain that you want to do business at
>> that particular store and ask if they have recommendations of an
>> employee who would be a good communicator and who knows the store.
>>
>> Also, if the store has accessible sales ads online, I have found that
>> shopping according to those not only saves me money, but these items
>> are often on display and easier to find. If the sales ads are not
>> accessible, you might call the manager. One store manager sent us
>> spreadsheets of the sales ads for the particular store. She was not
>> persistent, and we did not ask again since we don't shop there often,
>> but if you get the ads once, you will always have an email address to
>> contact should the ads discontinue. If the ads are not accessible,
>> this would be a good use of a reader. They could either clip coupons
>> or ads. You could label them in braille. Often, coupons and ads have
>> pictures of the food which could help the shopping assistant. If it is
>> just a sales ad, save the picture if you plan to buy the product again
>> regardless of whether it is on sale.
>>
>> I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. I think that poor customer
>> service is a chronic problem. I don't want to think about the money I
>> have spent just because I am tired and don't feel like dealing with an
>> incompetent person, or a person at all in the case of online shopping.
>> One way I justify this is by choosing to buy healthier foods and local
>> foods. I receive excellent customer service at a local grocery store
>> that prepares all of their meat in house and sources it from
>> Washington farms. Since I shop according to the sales ads, I feel like
>> I spend about the same amount of money that I would buying mass
>> sourced meat at the cheaper grocery store. Similar with produce, in
>> season fruit is often what is on sale and is often what will taste
>> better anyway. But I have definitely been in college and buying
>> freshly ground beef was definitely not an option. The good thing about
>> being in college though is that it is often easier to find someone who
>> is willing to do a menial task for not too much money. So I definitely
>> recommend using a reader if you have one or in trading favors.
>>
>> Cindy
>>

>> On 2/9/15, Mikayla Gephart via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am in high school, so do not go through this. I have a comment about
>>> asking the manager to educate their employees on disabilities. Instead,
>>> maybe you or someone from your NFB chapter could come in and talk to the
>>> employees and maybe even teach the manager. My consern is that thc
>>> manager
>>> might not know how to guide a blind person, and might reteach negative
>>> Best,