[nabs-l] NFB Summer Internship Program

Derek Manners dmanners at jd16.law.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 12 07:31:58 UTC 2015

I wasn't a summer intern but did intern 3 weeks this January. Basically everything stated is true so far. I'd mention that during events, they serve food to everyone, including interns. The center is located in a great spot within walking distance of a grocery store, dry cleaner, and several good restaurants. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Derek Manners

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 11, 2015, at 9:58 PM, Arielle Silverman via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ian,
> I was an NFB intern back in 2006, so some things may have changed, but
> I suspect most of the structure will be the same. During that summer I
> was one of six interns. We all stayed at the National Center for the
> Blind. Each of us had our own bedroom and bathroom. We shared common
> kitchen facilities and were responsible for buying and preparing our
> own meals. There is laundry on-site. Generally we were free on
> evenings and weekends, but depending on the department you are working
> for, you may be assigned occasional evening and weekend work. I was
> assigned to work the first weekend of my internship because there was
> a leadership seminar I was asked to help administer, but that was my
> only weekend assignment. I agree that asking Anil these questions will
> get you the most updated details. Good luck, I really enjoyed my
> internship experience.
> Best, Arielle
>
>> On 2/11/15, Darian Smith via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I believe an announcement recently went out to the list regarding the
>> program.
>> I believe the announcement came from Anil Lewis who is the  Executive
>> Director of the Jernigan  Institute.  I believe you might want to get a hold
>> of him for more details about the program and application  information. his
>> e-mail  is  alewis at nfb.org <mailto:alewis at nfb.org>.
>> I’m sure we have a few participants of the program in past years on this
>> list, and  if they are able they might share their experiences.
>> Again, Mr. Lewis might be a good starting point if you haven’t had the
>> opportunity to view the announcement.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Darian
>>> On Feb 11, 2015, at 9:28 AM, Ian Perrault via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I’m curious what the NFB summer internship program is like? I’m thinking
>>> about applying for this summer, since I’ll just be graduating from
>>> graduate school. What are the accommodations and the meals like? Can you
>>> do what you want on weekends? Is the program just the internship, and then
>>> you can do your own thing beyond that? What exactly happens during the 10
>>> weeks?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ian