[nabs-l] Need help Improving my Study Skills

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 19:57:22 UTC 2015

Hi Roanna,

When I was taking courses, I found it much more effective to take
thorough notes in class and then study by re-reading them (as
well as of course any assigned texts) rather than listening to
recordings.  While I understand that recording lectures is a
standard accommodation for blind students, I never did this, as I
don't believe that these recordings would have been any more
useful for me than for my sighted classmates and as I felt that
I'd be best served by using more traditional note-taking and
study strategies.  This isn't to say that you shouldn't record
lectures if this is useful to you, but my sense is that the
active engagement that writing promotes helps most people retain
information, so if you're not taking notes in addition to
recording, perhaps consider giving that a try?

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Lucy