[nabs-l] social strategies at parties

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 01:37:57 UTC 2015

Hi All,
I'd really appreciate some advice.  I would really like to know
what you do in big gatherings where you hardly know anyone.
Two weeks ago I went to a friend's house because she was
sponsoring an event where people could go up and share their
writing.  There were about 100 people there, mostly from my high
school.  I only knew about 3 of them.  I would normally have hung
out with my friend (I prefer to hang out with an individual
rather than a group), but since it was at her house last month,
she had to tend to all the guests and make sure they had
everything they needed.  At dinner we had pizza and other snacks.
I found the kitchen easily because I heard people going in there,
but I didn't know exactly where all the food was.  I asked
someone where the pizza was and he got me a slice.  Then awhile
later someone mentioned more food and I had had no idea that
there was any.
So my questions are:
1.  Is it okay to ask someone what all the food options are even
if you hardly know them? Do you think that they would normally be
willing to tell me?
2.  Can I ask that person to sit with me if I don't have anyone
to hang out with, or do you think that's too akward?
In the end everything turned out fine, but I'm just trying to get
ideas so that I can feel more comfortable in future parties.
I have the feeling that a lot of times people want to help but
don't because they don't know what to do.
Thanks,
Vejas