[nabs-l] Tips on Ice Skating with Sighted Peers?

Miso Kwak kwakmiso at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 08:43:39 UTC 2015

Hi, I am writing to seek any tips on ice skating with sighted peers.
I have experience of ice skating previously, but it has been at least 5
years since the last time I went.
Also all of my previous skating experience happened with my family
which meant that my mom was mostly watching out for me. I skated using
very little vision I have along the perimeter of the rink without my
cane.
A circle of friends I am part of decided to go to ice skating this
weekend which I paln to go as well. I am the only blind person in the
crowd and not sure how accessible the rink we are going to is.
Since I am with my peers who would not be responsible for my safety in
the rink I want to make sure that I take the necessary steps to ensure
my safety while skating.
Should i bring my cane with me onto the ice?
Any other tips?
Thank you in advance.
Miso Kwak