[nabs-l] A few unrelated questions

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 04:46:14 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have a few unrelated questions here, but if anyone could answer any
combination of them I would be really grateful.

1.  International travel.  I'll be flying internationally for the
first time in June for a study abroad trip.  I am by no means a
frequent flyer having only flown once before to a National Convention,
and I am a little unsure of the differences between international
travel and domestic travel.  It was very easy going from one airport
to the other when I went to Orlando, but I don't know what the
procedure is for filling out customs forms.  Would I want to call
ahead to the airline to make sure the personelle are aware that
someone will ned to help me fill out the customs paperwork?  I am also
a little nervous about reaching my contact person once in the airport
in my destination.  Thankfully English is the main language and the
patois is pretty easy for me to understand, but I also understand that
due to religious norms the disabled are seen as people "to be taken
care of."  Not that this is extremely different from treatment we
receive in American airports (I was surprised when I wasn't greeted
with a wheelchair after getting off the plane in 2013), but I guess
I'm just a little nervous going into a third world country where
refusing unnecessary help might be more offensive than what I'm used
to in the states.  Has anyone flown independently to another country,
especially Jamaica or another island in the Caribbean?  If so, would
you be willing to share your experiences?

Second, I am interested in bluetoothing my IPhone and BrailleSense
On-Hand together.  I now have an IPhone 6 so my IOS is up-to-date.  I
royally screwed up when I tried to do it with an IPhone 4, so if
anyone has resources for how to do this, that would be awesome.

3.  Has anyone here taken human anatomy?  I'm looking to take it next
semester, and my DS office is starting to prep for it now.  I'm
thinking that I will want to take the lab along with the lecture even
though it isn't required for my major, mainly because I think having
the lab will give me a chance to touch some of the things we talk
about in the normally very visual course.  Some of my sighted friends
struggled in Anatomy and think they also would have benefitted from
taking the lab with the lecture, so I do think it will be even more
important for me.  I know many science majors have had issues with
getting profs to allow them to participate in disections and other
hands-on activities with sharp objects, and being a music major I have
no experience navigating these kinds of issues.  Any advice would be
very useful to me, as I think I'll actually start meeting with the
professor in February to make sure that she is on-board and has some
input with her expertise into how we can accommodate me in these
courses.

--
Kaiti