[nabs-l] A few unrelated questions

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 17 22:20:48 UTC 2015

Hi Kaiti and all,

I have traveled internationally many times before, not
independently yet but every summer we go to France to visit my
relatives on my mom's side of the family.  I really enjoy the
experience, and am confident that I'll be aing to accomplish it
independently.
I have never been to any other countries in this continent
(except for a road trip to Canada), so I can't answer you for the
Caribean specifically.

As others have said, you fill out those forms on the plane, so
you should be able to ask a flight attendant for assistance.  As
for letting the airline know of your blindness, I never had to do
that personally, as I've always traveled with my mom and brother.
I do know though that you can either email the airline in advance
to request assistance or just wait until you get to the airport.
 Ironically though, the only time I've been offered a wheelchair
was on the return flight from France we took this summer.  We had
made a stop in Dublin, Ireland, and then took another flight from
there to here in New York.  Anyway, what was ironic was that as
we ! getting off the plane, this flight attendant saw that I was
blind and offered me a wheelchair.  I told him that I didn't need
it, and he didn't even get offended.  He just said OK, and I was
able to get off the plane with my family.

And yes, I do agree that knowing the language does help.  I
personally  am fluent in French and Spanish as well as English,
so I think I would be able to manage as well in those languages
as well as in English.  If I were in a place where I don't know
the language, though, I'd probably be like Arielle and request
help more often.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sami.