[nabs-l] Why Are You a Member of the NFB?

Kayla James christgirl813 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:30:39 UTC 2015

I hope non-members can join in this. Frankly, Elizabeth asked some
questions I've wanted to ask. Here is another: have any of you ever
tried going to any other organization for the blind to check them out,
too?
But here is what I love about the NFB. Okay this may be selfish, but
they give away free stuff and it is free stuff that you actually need
and when it breaks you can get another one (the white cane program and
the slate and stylus program). I loved the Kernel Books. Every time I
look at them I am reminded that the NFB is not some radical,
protesting cult, but actually just a family who is just separated by
different states and counties and who get together every summer for a
family reunion.
I am beginning to make friends in the NFB and I'm not even in it. That
amazes me. The other amazing part, they actually care. That's cool!
I love the philosophy. Being blind is okay, we can be just like
sighted people just use different techniques.
So have I gone to an NFB training center? No. Have I gone to a few
meetings? Yeah, a couple. Have I joined yet? A good ninety percent of
me is already a Federationist in my heart and mind, but the other
percent is unsure. So, no, I have not joined. But I just want to jump
in this, so thanks.

Kayla