[nabs-l] Why Are You a Member of the NFB?

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:32:15 UTC 2015

Hello All:
	My answer to why I joined the NFB, and by extension NABS, is quite simple: a friend asked me to. One of my close friends is extremely active within the student division in Nevada and felt obligated to convince me to join; therefore, I did.
	Now, the reason I have stayed, even though I went 19 years without any NFB interactions, is the simple fact that I admire some of the members personal Philosophies and their acknowledgement of the need to be independent. From my experience working with blind individuals, before the NFB, I had a sense of entitlement. If it wasn’t the blind individuals asking things like “What can society give me,” or demanding that the society we live in provide them with more, then it was sighted folks assuming that I, as a blind individual, was less capable than a ‘normal’ individual of society.
	After Joining the National Federation of the Blind, I found individuals who believe as I do; though the world is not always accessible, it is not the duty of the world to be so; if I want something, I have to work for it. Now, that isn’t to say the world ought not to be more accessible—that is a different thread topic, I suppose. Anyways, the ideals like self-advocacy and a blind person ought to do what they want keep me around. Oh, that and I rather enjoy seeing and interacting with successful members of the community who are blind (Viz Arielle, Karl, and kaiti, Anil Lewis, Kimmey Beverly and Derik).
Respectfully,
Michael