[nabs-l] Help, please

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:29:44 UTC 2015

If you can get any insurance at all on your more expensive and
valuable belongings I would highly recommend it.  (Not trying to back
the last post up, just going off my own experiences).  I've got my
BrailleSense and my musical instrument covered under my parent's home
owners insurance.  If you can't do that, I'd look into warrantees
which cover theft on things like laptops and such.

I hope you recover your items or get the money to replace them.
Although I was not on debate as my high school and college do not have
teams, I was on my high school's academic quiz team which has similar
accessibility barriers in certain rounds from what I understand.

On 1/26/15, Littlefield, Tyler via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> I don't think renters insurance would help him. Nice advertising, though.
> On 1/26/2015 1:19 PM, Mark J. Cadigan via nabs-l wrote:
>> Michael
>>

>> I know this can not help you now, but have you ever considered
>> getting renters insurance. Renter's insurance is a home owner's
>> product for people who rent. It normally runs between $100 to $200
>> for around $15,000 in property coverage with $100,000 in personal
>> liability protection. This coverage will replace your belongings in
>> case of fire, theft or other covered perils.
>>

>> For high cost accessibility items such as a Braille note taker, I
>> would recommend adding a personal articles floater to the basic
>> renter's policy, or at the very least scheduling them as scheduled
>> personal property.
>>

>> Hope this helps you in the future,
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael D Ausbun via nabs-l"
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> To: "National Association of Blind Students
>> 5:38 PM Subject: [nabs-l] Help, please
>>

>> Hello All,
>>
>> This is going to sound off-topic (as it probably is extremely so),
>> but I will explain why I believe it ought to be on-topic. I am a
>> part of the University of Nevada, Reno's Debate Team. Debate, as a
>> rule, is generally inaccessible for those with visual
>> disabilities, because a lot of what is required is visual. You have
>> to write notes, reed your notes in-round and make virtually no
>> mistakes while doing so, in regards to your oppositions
>> argumentation as you are attempting to refute it. They do not
>> generally approve assistive technology, because they have had
>> incidents in the past of people using the internet mid-round, to
>> find arguments, which they did not create. My school, however, has
>> done everything they can to make this lovely activity accessible
>> for me, even though it puts a strain on them and their success at
>> times. Our coaches, who are extremely involved at the
>> administration of the league (National parliamentary Debate
>> Association) level, are trying to ensure full accessibility, in the
>> case that more blind individuals wish to participate in the
>> activity. Last night, while at a tournament in Santa Clara
>> California, our two vans were burglarized, resulting in ten
>> laptops, several laptops, personal belongings and school books/work
>> going missing. There are a few people on the team, including
>> myself, who are not socio-economically stable; and thus, items
>> cannot be replaced without assistance. I was wondering, if you
>> wonderful people could at least view the link and possibly push it
>> out on your social media, in order to help us out. Every cent will
>> go to assisting us, the students, in our educational endeavors and
>> we will be extremely grateful. Yes, I recognize that this is not
>> exactly blind related, but because of their, the league and my
>> school in particulars, attempts to make an activity, which is
> [...]

Kaiti